Sections of Seyaj’s Monitoring and Protection Center
A. Section of Monitoring and documentation
This section includes several sub-sections ( Reception of notifications and complains, verification and follow up, services and advocacy). It serves as the following:
- Reception of notifications, complains and information on violence against children.
- Reception of notifications and complains by victims themselves, families of victims or volunteers in Seyaj’s headquarters located in Sana’a.
- Notifications reported to Seyaj by the volunteers, Over 500 male and female volunteers from various fields (Human rights activists, lawyers, students, journalists, teachers, physicians, police officers, and tribal and religious leaders) cooperate with Seyaj.
- Contacting the center through help service phone lines.
- Contacting the center via fax, email, facebook or any other communication means.
- Following up reports and articles of media outlets: online websites and social media are followed up to verify cases and gather details and information that are not included in reports or articles. Families of victims and relevant state authorities are contacted. Field researchers of Seyaj are also mandated to visit families to verify cases, and gather evidences and documents.
B. Section of Judicial assistance :
Since February 2009, the legal assistance section was created, and on November 2009, Seyaj signed a cooperation agreement with Yemen Bar Association. Under this agreement, Seyaj could expand its services and provide free judicial support for children.
In mid-2011, the legal assistance section was developed to an independent department to meet the increasing number of cases the center receives on a daily basis across Yemen.
C. Section of child research and studies
This section is the only section specialized in child studies across Yemen. Seyaj seeks to develop this center into an independent research organization in future.
It also operates to carry out scientific studies, researches and polling on cases and problems faced by children. These studies are provided to national and international authorities in order to draw up policies and support any plans aiming to enhance protection of child rights.
This center analyzes results of monitoring, documentation as well as services provided to child victims on a daily basis. These results are also used in periodical reports and other specialized reports.
It also contributes in guiding and supporting post-graduate students and share studies with state and non-state authorities.
The section also operates to evaluate outcomes of Seyaj’s projects and activities, and to what section they are effective during and after their implementation. It also provides guidelines in which the organization relies in setting up its plans and implementing its projects to guarantee providing the best services for children.
D. Psycho-social support
Seyaj provides psychological support to victims through sessions to diagnose psychological conditions of children, and referring those who needs therapy to specialized hospitals and clinics. Psychological consultations are provided to victims and their families through direct interviews or through phones.
Seyaj provides advocacy to child rights as means to enhance accountability and bring the perpetrators accountable, and raise awareness about child rights through reports, news stories, press releases, news conferences…etc.